Go Back   Genesis Coupe Canada > General > General Discussions

Old 07-22-2014, 10:06 AM
2011 2.0T Premium ,

Default Bogus Dealer "required" Maintenance

Just a inquiry into whether or not anyone here gets the similar jerk around every time you bring your car into the dealer for "service".

Hyundai already carries a pretty out of control service schedule, they run on a 4 tier "service" schedule ranging from basic 1 to $300.00+ service 4. The schedule runs on a 1 - 2 - 1 - 3 - 1 - 4 - 1 - 2 and repeats itself over the course of you owning the car.

The manual provided upon purchase shows something similar, but a bit less strict which the dealer argues is wrong because Calgary is an "extreme" case which I would agree with however I don't drive my car in the Winter.

Here's the problem, it seems every time I go in on top of whatever the selected schedule service it is "1" to "4" they tell me I need additional service(s) not covered under these packages. Just recently I was quoted the following after my "service 4" which ran me $389.25 + the 45.00 "synthetic oil" charge not covered by my "6 year free oil changes".

Fuel Injector Service - $139.85 - They run a bottle of cheap Techtron branded fuel cleaner and nothing more.

Air Filter replacement - $120.00 + 1/2 hours labor - Not only have the lied to me about "cleaning it" but they replaced my K&N filter that's cleanable purchased aftermarket with one of their shitbox "Hyundai brand" cone filters that isn't cleanable at some point. Spotted this just yesterday and have already gone and bought myself a new K&N.

Brake Line Flush - $149.00 - Flush the brake fluid lines I'm guessing, I see nothing in the handbook or service schedule saying this is required. Have been told this is a cash grab.

Power Steering Flush - $149.00 - Flush the power steering fluid like above, also see nothing stating this is a mandatory service so also has been said this is a cash grab.

The kicker here is they are telling me that if I choose to "ignore" the "required maintenance" then they will NO longer honor my free oil changes, nor will service any warranty work should it arise as I'm not "listening to their recommendations" that are again from the dealership and not required by Hyundai Canada under warranty.

The run around I get every time is getting annoying.

Thoughts?
Old 07-22-2014, 12:40 PM
2010 2.0T GT , Bathurst Black

That all sounds like bullshit to me.
Injector cleaner you could have just bought lucas cleaner and it would be fine for $15.
I would raise a stink about the air filter. K&N is cleanable so you should have told them that you would do it your self and they now owe you a filter or credit for the filter.
If you were having no issues with your brakes or steering I'm not sure why they would need to flush them if it's not scheduled.
I would just go to another dealer in Calgary from now on or take it up with Hyundai Canada.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:15 PM
2011 2.0T Premium ,

1. Will not ever buy airfilters from them, I'll ask about being reimbursed but knowing hyundai calgary.. they won't do shit.

2. I bought my own fuel injector cleaner and will be running it through tonight, I declined this service which is why they are pulling the plug on my 6 year "free" oil change.

3. No issues with brakes or steering, they lady on the phone actually freaked out when I questioned the service, telling me I'm screwed if I say no and dont get it done.

4. I'd love to take it to a new shop, however everyone seems to dislike almost every dealership in Calgary. It's lose lose but I can try Hyundai Canada.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:38 PM
14 2.0T Premium MT, Casablanca White

I've run vehicles that are over 35 years old with the factory power steering and brake fluids. Unless your doing the 24hrs Lemans race, it'll be fine.

I'd suggest you tell your nice service lady that you will be sending in a formal letter to Hyundai Canada about their business practices and asking for exactly what is required to maintain your warranty.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:56 AM
2012 2.0T Premium MT, Silverstone

They can not decline your free oil changes if you keep up with the recommended service schedule, as long as your following the maintance schedule will will be fine. At certain km the dealer recommends a few things that is not in the book, a lot of them are helpful for your car.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:38 PM
2010 3.8 Premium MT, Acqua Minerale Blue

Default ;)

Just a inquiry into whether or not anyone here gets the similar jerk around every time you bring your car into the dealer for "service".

Hyundai already carries a pretty out of control service schedule, they run on a 4 tier "service" schedule ranging from basic 1 to $300.00+ service 4. The schedule runs on a 1 - 2 - 1 - 3 - 1 - 4 - 1 - 2 and repeats itself over the course of you owning the car.

The manual provided upon purchase shows something similar, but a bit less strict which the dealer argues is wrong because Calgary is an "extreme" case which I would agree with however I don't drive my car in the Winter.

Here's the problem, it seems every time I go in on top of whatever the selected schedule service it is "1" to "4" they tell me I need additional service(s) not covered under these packages. Just recently I was quoted the following after my "service 4" which ran me $389.25 + the 45.00 "synthetic oil" charge not covered by my "6 year free oil changes".

Fuel Injector Service - $139.85 - They run a bottle of cheap Techtron branded fuel cleaner and nothing more.

It's not just a bottled additive they stick in your gas tank. It's sort of similar to seafoaming. They pretty much disconnect your fuel pump relay and main fuel line, and then connect a tank of pressurized fuel cleaner. The car is then turned on and consumes the contents of the can only. Ideally it helps with cleaning out your injectors and fuel lines. I've always done it on all my cars, and I actually find that it does help.

Air Filter replacement - $120.00 + 1/2 hours labor - Not only have the lied to me about "cleaning it" but they replaced my K&N filter that's cleanable purchased aftermarket with one of their shitbox "Hyundai brand" cone filters that isn't cleanable at some point. Spotted this just yesterday and have already gone and bought myself a new K&N.

I agree with you on this one that they should have contacted you regarding it.

Brake Line Flush - $149.00 - Flush the brake fluid lines I'm guessing, I see nothing in the handbook or service schedule saying this is required. Have been told this is a cash grab.

Not necessarily a cash grab. It's performed to prevent air bubbles/moisture from accumulating in the brake lines. It happens to more vehicles than one would think. It's now become one of those standard service items because whenever someone comes in complaining that their brakes seem to be spongy or go down way too far on the pedal, there's usually a diagnosis fee and then a suggestion to bleed the lines, which gets added on top of the diagnosis. So it's one of those "do it before it happens" items.

Power Steering Flush - $149.00 - Flush the power steering fluid like above, also see nothing stating this is a mandatory service so also has been said this is a cash grab.
It's most definitely not a mandatory service, and I am the guilty type who has never actually done one on my car either. Honestly, the only reason that it's suggested is due to the fact that it's an oil like pretty much almost any other fluid in your car, and as such it's prone to potentially breaking down, filling with debris, etc. Most power steering pumps have a screen and filter and the power steering fluid flush is meant to clean those out and at the same time replenish the fluid with cleaner fluid.

The kicker here is they are telling me that if I choose to "ignore" the "required maintenance" then they will NO longer honor my free oil changes, nor will service any warranty work should it arise as I'm not "listening to their recommendations" that are again from the dealership and not required by Hyundai Canada under warranty.

The run around I get every time is getting annoying.

They cover the cost of a regular oil change. If you wish for synthetic oil changes, those are an additional charge, and all you really need to pay is the difference of cost (or at least that's how it's done here). A lot of dealerships will provide free oil changes with vehicle purchases that usually have a couple of conditions. #1: the vehicle must follow the dealer's scheduled maintenance list, and #2, the vehicle must be brought to that dealership for the work to be performed. Being realistic, it makes sense, however unfair it may seem, because if they offered everyone free oil changes with no conditions, then people would only get their oil changes done because they didn't have to pay anything. It makes the dealer's job easier too, to a degree. If you did do just only oil changes at the right intervals and nothing else, sure, maybe you might not have any problems with the car. Although when a specific component failed such as brake calipers or a rear differential, the manufacturer will always ask the dealer to provide them with maintenance history for the customer. If there is no history of the failed part ever being inspected or serviced, it makes it more likely that a warranty claim would be declined due to neglect of the failed component.

2008 Charger SRT8 / 2010/12 Mustang GT / To Be Continued
Old 09-23-2014, 12:38 PM
2010 3.8 Premium MT, Acqua Minerale Blue

Please keep in mind that I'm not explaining all this because I'm defending your dealer or anything, but I'm giving you insight as to why some things are done at the dealers. Everyone has their own beliefs on what their vehicle needs to have done, and that's justifiable, because if it's your car, then it's your complete freedom you have to do whatever you want to do (or not do) to it. However, know that a lot of "free oil change packages" are put in place to help people keep on track with their vehicle maintenance, and I explain this to everyone I meet when they tell me they're thinking about getting a maintenance package with their car. If you only want to do oil changes and not worry about additional services, my best advice for the future is to perhaps take the fall and forego the free oil changes. You can do them yourself for super cheap, and it's kind of relaxing to do as well lol (so long as you have good jack stands

2008 Charger SRT8 / 2010/12 Mustang GT / To Be Continued