Go Back   Genesis Coupe Canada > General > General Discussions

Old 08-31-2011, 09:51 PM
2010 2.0T GT MT, Bathurst Black

Default Forum Takeover & Changes

Figured it was about time that I post an official note to let everyone know that it was I who took the forums over from Steve. If you have any problems, questions or suggestions feel free to pm me on here, email me at webmaster@gencoupe.ca, or we can chat during a meet.

Also, I'm going to document changes I make to the forum here, so that everyone knows what's going on and can get the most out of the forum. Again, feel free to give me feedback and ideas, for example let me know if you think the file sizes or dimensions for avatars are too small or something.

Changes thus far:

8/31/2011
Added "Thanks" button to posts
Added display of users logged in over last 24 hours (bottom of main page)
Changed maximum stored messages from 50 to 500
Enabled uploading of Avatars
Enabled uploading images for Signature
Increased max file size for profile pic, avatar, and signature images to 100kb each
User albums enabled
Enabled friends list

9/8/2011
Added calendar events - Anyone can add so feel free to add any car shows you come across
Added list of upcoming events above forums
Auto-Subscribe with email notification to threads after posting, will help retain members
If you wish to disable this option, click on User CP -> Edit Options -> Default Thread Subscription Mode
AB forum now comes before BC
Added random pictures from user albums on home forum page
Removed pointless/inaccurate forum descriptions
Increased album photos max dimensions to 1920x1080, max file size to 1mb, and removed limit of 60 photos per album/100 photos per user

9/22/2011
Added everyone's car info underneath their name in forum posts. I filled in what I could based on what people had in their profile before, plus picking through new member posts/signatures etc, but quite a few of you are missing some info still - You can update it in your options, or when you're on the main page there will be a little warning box letting you know you're missing info with a direct link to where to update it.

Expanding on the update from last time where everyone by default auto subscribes to a thread when they reply to it, I made a script that went back and added subscriptions for everyone to any post they've participated in before. This should hopefully draw some peoples attention back to the forums if they haven't been on in a while when one of their posts gets a new reply. Again if you want to turn this feature off, check the last update for instructions. Also, since I wrote the script to do this completely by myself, I'm only about 95% sure I actually did it properly, so if anyone notices anything acting funny, please let me know.

Lastly, if you're reading this post you've probably already noticed that I've restructured the forums. The new sections are quite a bit more specific then before so it should be easier for people to figure out where to post what. I'm slowly going through and moving posts to where they belong. You'll see the remnants as "Moved: (thread title)". Those will disappear after a week, should be long enough for anyone looking for something to find it again.

Future plans:

Add a few images to make forum look better
Add 'Attending' list, email & possibly sms reminders for calendar events

Last edited by Tedward; 09-22-2011 at 10:20 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tedward For This Useful Post:
BHbomber (01-03-2012), DoomStrike (08-31-2011), GenRR (08-31-2011), LeonardO (08-31-2011), Phatdhad (09-01-2011), TurtleJeff (09-01-2011)
Old 08-31-2011, 11:39 PM
2010 2.0T GT , Bathurst Black

Wow great to hear buddy. Keep up the good work.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:40 PM
2010 3.8 Premium MT, Acqua Minerale Blue

I call first dibs on being a selected mod!!!!

Old 09-01-2011, 08:50 AM
2010 3.8 Base MT, Tsukuba Red

Hopefully this helps getting a club going and with that member helping with the costs.

Thanks for doing this.

P
- Luxon Grille
- cat deletes
- Ark downpipes
- Ark True Dual Exhaust
Old 09-01-2011, 07:02 PM
2010 2.0T Premium AT, Mirabeau Blue

I love that our webmaster is a junior member!
Ted you just took it over because you like the title "master" =0
Seriously thanks and keep up the good stuff.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:28 AM

Few more changes:

Added calendar events - Anyone can add so feel free to add any car shows you come across
Added list of upcoming events above forums
Auto-Subscribe with email notification to threads after posting, will help retain members
If you wish to disable this option, click on User CP -> Edit Options -> Default Thread Subscription Mode
AB forum now comes before BC
Added random pictures from user albums on home forum page
Removed pointless/inaccurate forum descriptions
Increased album photos max dimensions to 1920x1080, max file size to 1mb, and removed limit of 60 photos per album/100 photos per user

Last edited by Tedward; 09-08-2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Change to photo album pictures
Old 09-09-2011, 01:14 PM
2010 2.0T Premium AT, Mirabeau Blue

Working hard there Ted, Thanks bud! Looks good!
Old 09-10-2011, 07:41 PM
2010 2.0T Premium AT, Acqua Minerale Blue

Looks Great!!!!!! Thanks for all your hard work!!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:19 PM

Here we go again:

Added everyone's car info underneath their name in forum posts. I filled in what I could based on what people had in their profile before, plus picking through new member posts/signatures etc, but quite a few of you are missing some info still - You can update it in your options, or when you're on the main page there will be a little warning box letting you know you're missing info with a direct link to where to update it.

Expanding on the update from last time where everyone by default auto subscribes to a thread when they reply to it, I made a script that went back and added subscriptions for everyone to any post they've participated in before. This should hopefully draw some peoples attention back to the forums if they haven't been on in a while when one of their posts gets a new reply. Again if you want to turn this feature off, check the last update for instructions. Also, since I wrote the script to do this completely by myself, I'm only about 95% sure I actually did it properly, so if anyone notices anything acting funny, please let me know.

Lastly, if you're reading this post you've probably already noticed that I've restructured the forums. The new sections are quite a bit more specific then before so it should be easier for people to figure out where to post what. I'm slowly going through and moving posts to where they belong. You'll see the remnants as "Moved: (thread title)". Those will disappear after a week, should be long enough for anyone looking for something to find it again.

Any questions, just ask and I'll clarify.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:30 AM
2010 3.8 GT MT, Bathurst Black

Ted, I see the pictures when I open the forum and can go in and see them but how come I can't see them if I go into the community link and click on pictures and albums all I see is my own. Can we make it so we can see all the albums under that link?