Genesis Coupe Canada

Genesis Coupe Canada (http://www.gencoupe.ca/index.php)
-   Technical (http://www.gencoupe.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Removing Stock Deck and Replacing with Double-Din Touch Screen (http://www.gencoupe.ca/showthread.php?t=1270)

Jewce 07-25-2013 06:07 PM

Removing Stock Deck and Replacing with Double-Din Touch Screen

Hi everyone,

Since the times of aftermarket stereo installations has changed since the last time i purchased a car, i'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm in the process of purchasing a 13 Genesis Coupe 2.0T Base. Sadly i couldnt get the financing for the premium so i'm missing out on the infinity system with GPS. I'm new to this whole "new cars with everything built into the dashboard" When i had my Accent, it was easy to upgrade the deck since there were no extras for me to deal with. By the looks of it, the system is in 2 pieces: the main blue display and the controls. If i remove the controls and replace it with a Double-Din touch screen (using the Double-din Metra kit), will i lose functionality of the blue screen which is showing me my interior/exterior temperatures as well as my climate controls?

Please help!

javaman 07-25-2013 08:23 PM

Hi Welcome to the forums.

I'm not to familiar with the 2013 stock deck but in the 2009-2012 models you could buy a bezel with and lcd relocation kit to get the stock deck functionality

http://www.poweraxel.net/index.php/b...ion-kit-1.html

Some people in this forum used that solution to install tablets as their gps units.

Not to sure if such a thing exists for the 2013s.

Welcome to the forum

P

Jewce 07-25-2013 09:33 PM

Thank you javaman for the welcoming.

That's not really what i'm looking at doing. OEM stock systems aren't usually the best. They don't give you the customizability that you can get with an Alpine or Pioneer. They don't have the digital sound processors that make everything sound cleaner as well as the ability to install my subwoofer in the trunk (which is not possible with stock systems). There are aftermarket parts which allow me connect the subwoofer to the stock system as well as i have a set of Alpine SPR-60c for the door speakers, but the root of it must provide the high quality of sound, which i'm afraid the stock system cannot provide.

I initially wanted the Infinity sytem, but unfortunately it was only available on the Premium and GT packages, which were a little too far out of my price range. My goal is to purchase a new double-din aftermarket deck (w/o NAV) and have that installed, but with the ability to retain all of the car information displayed on the bluescreen of the stock stock display. I'm not a fan of the newer cars these days that have the deck installed in the dash and the integration of all the cars information functions on the same display. I've seen the Unavi which replaces the stock display, but keeps the main component. This feature is also $1200 which sadly i also don't have. I was hoping on just a $500 touch screen to add to my system...

strykr 07-26-2013 08:38 AM

You CAN add a line out converter that will allow you to hook up a sub to the stock system, but I wouldnt bother as the base sound system isnt all that good anyways. What you can do is get a digital eq and splice into the audio wiring then have the ability to adjust the sound as you see fit to make the system better or you can install a 4 channel amp to control the speakers then get a line out converter so that you can run a subwoofer. This way you can have a more clear sound, louder system and everything else while not needing to purchase a new touchscreen deck and still needing to add amp, sub, etc.

There are many ways to install systems in cars, but it depends on what your wanting to do. If you want any help, feel free to ask. I used to be an audio installer before I joined the military.

Jewce 07-26-2013 09:57 AM

Thanks strykr. I spoke to Metra and they told me that it will only omit the audio features if I remove components. I have an appointment with Future Shop next Wednesday for them to test it to see if it will work or not. I already have speakers and a sub with mono block, but it's just the logistics with these integrated systems. I've installed all my own audio equipment in my Accent which was sooo much easier than these new systems. From what FS told me, these integrated systems are killing aftermarket sales. For me, I'm big on sound and while test driving the car, I wanted to tear my hair out!!!

strykr 07-26-2013 11:42 AM

Ya I know exactly what you mean, Im the same way..